Sponsored

Girl 8, allegedly set ablaze by a friend, dies from kerosene fire, as another hospitalized

ADVOCATE further gathered that residents of the building and the adjacent one which consist of 13 rooms could not evacuate their properties due to the intensity of the fire, even as several attempts were made by sympathizers to put out the fire.


By Esada Uyono


An 8 year-old girl, Zicora Ighonoja, in Sapele, Sapele Local Government Area of Delta State, died from burns she sustained after she was accidentally set on ablaze by a friend while playing with kerosene.
Miss Stella Peter, a 32 year old kerosene dealer was said to have mistakenly set her building ablaze, laying at the hospital bed

Meanwhile one Miss Stella Peter, a 32 year old kerosene dealer was said to have mistakenly set her building ablaze while trying to test the genuineness of the product, thereby causing panic in Sapele about the safety of h products in the market.

Zicora, who was a primary 2 pupil of a Private School in the town was said to be playing with a neighbour’s daughter (another 8 years) at their residence their along Oghene road when the incident happened.

“Zicora was playing with a friend at home alone and they were playing with kerosene when the other girl suddenly went in to bring lighter and the next thing was fire.

“Their screaming attracted us to the scene, only to find Zicora in a ball of fire. We managed to put out the fire and rush her to the hospital but she gave up the ghost last night at about 10pm, a source, who claims to be a family friend and craved anonymity, said.

When our reporter visited the Ighonojas residence, sympathizers were seen trooping into the compound while discussing the incident in hush tones.

In another development, properties worth millions of naira yesterday was destroyed in a fire incident in Sapele after a 32 year old Kerosene dealer,  Miss Stella Peter was said to have mistakenly set her building ablaze while trying to test the genuineness of the product.

The accident which has continue to baffle residents of the town was said to have happened at about 5pm along Ofortokun Street in Sapele, when the woman who was dealing in kerosene product was said to have received supply of the product;  “She bought four Jerry cans of kerosene and  because the product had foul odour and too colourful for her liking,  she scooped some quantity and set it ablaze to see if it’s kerosene or fuel and the next thing the house was engulfed in fire,” a neighbour, who simply call himself Paul and who claim to have lost everything in the inferno said.

ADVOCATE further gathered that residents of the building and the adjacent one which consist of 13 rooms could not evacuate their properties due to the intensity of the fire, even as several attempts were made by sympathizers to put out the fire.

A member of the Delta State Fire Service, who was member of the rescue team, and craving anonymity said, “though we were contacted but the distress call came late, however, we were able to go on three trips to put down the fire” he said.

When our reporter visited the Central Hospital where she was revealing treatment, the doctors were said to have left a standing order that Miss Peter should not be disturbed.

 

Comments 0

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Girl 8, allegedly set ablaze by a friend, dies from kerosene fire, as another hospitalized

log in

Become a part of our Nigeria Advocate community!

reset password

Back to
log in
Choose A Format
Poll
Story
Video
Image